"knock up"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Sep 17 16:45:13 UTC 2005

 >McGann's  Byron's Major Works.  p.1017
 >From Byron's random notes
 >101
 >If according to some speculations-- you could prove the World many
 >thousand years older than the Mosaic Chronology -- or  if you
 >could  knock up Adam & Eve and the Apple & Serpent-- still what  is
 >to be put  up in their stead? -- ....

I think this might more-or-less match sense 3b(2) in MW3, i.e., =
"destroy"/"bring to an end". Similar to "knock out".

MW3's definition for "knock up", sense 3:

<< 3 a : to make exhausted : knock out <hurried too fast and it knocked me
up [G. M.Hopkins]>  b (1) : to put out of top condition : cause to
deteriorate <too much food and idleness had knocked them up> (2) : to bring
to an end : DESTROY <unfair competition had knocked up the once flourishing
business>  c : WOUND, HURT <got pretty badly knocked up> <if I'm killed
over there -- that isn't likely, I'm more of the damned sort that gets
knocked up [Ellen Glasgow]> >>

-- Doug Wilson