"knock up"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 17 18:29:28 UTC 2005

I think Doug Wilson has it.  From OED2, knock (v) 18.i, and covering
the right period:

trans. To break up, destroy, put an end to.
    1764 Foote Mayor of G. i. Wks. 1799 I. 173 This plaguy peace+has
knock'd up all the trade of the Alley.  1776 in New York during Amer.
Rev. (1861) 99 The arrival of the fleet, since which almost all
business in town is knocked up.  1857 De Quincey Whiggism in Relat.
to Literature Wks. VI. 67 The establishment was knocked up, and
clearly from gross defects of management.

Joel