An off-color street name (proposed but not accepted)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Sep 18 15:45:37 UTC 2005

     I can add to the subject of Laurence Urdang's e-mail message below.
An article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Jan 26, 2005, Section C, p. 1/1-4 unwittingly tells about cell-phone viruses called "Gavno." (They enter the phones as Trojan horses disguised as repair files).  The article includes a picture of a cellphone beside which is the following quote in bold letters: "Once a user installs Gavno, they may find it difficult, if not impossible to repair the phone."

     Small wonder. Gavno is a Russian word (spelled govno but pronounced /gavNO/ and is the vulgar term for "excrement." We deal of course with both a product and its name deriving from a twisted mind. ---  I sent a  Jan. 26, 2005 message on this topic to ans-l and ads-l and later treated it briefly in my Comments on Etymology, April 2005, p. 22.

Gerald Cohen