verb eponyms

Mon Sep 19 14:43:41 UTC 2005

HDAS has "John-Wayne" 'to attack, overcome, deal with,etc. with great
force and little deliberation; (also) to take decisive, often self-
consciously heroic action." First printed cite is 1972 and I
collected a new cite for it as recently as last week.

Grant Barrett

-- Project Editor, "Historical Dictionary of American Slang," Oxford
University Press
-- Editor, Double-Tongued Word Wrester, http://www.doubletongued.org/
-- Webmaster, American Dialect Society, http://www.americandialect.org/