"knock up" --usage

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 20 00:29:09 UTC 2005

Just within the last two nights I heard Peter Bagdonovich on Turner Classic Movies mention very casually that some celebrated actress of the forties or fifties had done something or other (obviously I wasn't paying much attention) while she was "knocked up."

I thought this was pretty crude for a classy cinematic discussion in prime time (even on cable), but evidently neither P.B. nor the TCM people shared my puritanical response.

After all, it's just "knocked" + "up."  Where's the dirt ?  (Goak.)

JL

Lal Zimman <zimman at SFSU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Lal Zimman
Subject: Re: "knock up" --usage

I definitely agree with you here, Fritz. To me, "knocked up" implies
that the pregnancy was unwanted (or at the very least unplanned) and
that the expectant mother is probably not married to the person who
impregnated her. Definitely not the sort of thing to be tossed around
at a church picnic.

-Lal