"Only city with a foreign policy" (NYC pols to Israel, P.R.)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 20 19:45:12 UTC 2005

>_http://www.urbanelephants.com/nyc/_ (http://www.urbanelephants.com/nyc/)
>Quickjustice: This "well-crafted" press release reminds me of the old joke,
>apropos of frequent Mayoral and City Council visits to Israel and Puerto Rico,
>  about New York being the only city in the country with a foreign policy.
>I remember this from the 1970s. Certainly, it doesn't date earlier than
>1949. Any cites?

It may have been standardly applied to NYC in the 1970s, but not
accurately so.  Berkeley, CA had a quite detailed foreign policy as
of the late 1960s.  Not an effective one, perhaps, but...

Larry