Brooklynese in N.O.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 20 19:55:44 UTC 2005

On 9/20/05, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Brooklynese in N.O.
>
> At 10:49 AM -0500 9/15/05, Mullins, Bill wrote:
> >  >
> >>  Are there other "meaty" accents ?    Would we know ?
> >>
> >>  JL
> >
> >Perhaps the Burghers of Germany have a meaty accent . . .
>
> not to mention the Frankfurter dialect

Don't forget about the Braunschweiger dialect, one of whose speakers,
a local fireman - he was in the dress uniform - took my hand, kissed
it, and exclaimed, "Ich liebe deine Farbe!" As someone is reputed to
have pointed out to Eminem, "Everybody wants to be a nigger, unless he
is one."

-Wilson Gray