Early (1873) link between Hot Dog and Sausage

Wed Sep 21 07:07:28 UTC 2005

I don't claim this to be an antedating of "hot dog" as we understand the term.  But it is relevant to the story, I believe.

"A Demented Old Idiot." New York | Hornellsville | Hornellsville Tribune | 1873-07-11 p. 1 col 6.

"A certain organist in this city went into a music store the other day, and when one of the salesmen appeared, the following conversation ensued.

Organist -- I want to get Martini's Ecole d'Orgue.

Salesman (half mad and half scared, and staring at the visitor in utter bewilderment) -- Wha- wh- wh- what d'you say?

Organist -- I say I want you to give me Martini's Ecole d'Orgue, and I want it quick, too.

Salesman (still nervous and yet looking as if he thought there must be a joke about it somewhere) -- Just ask for that again, will you please? I don't exactly get the hang, as it were, of --

Organist (angrily) -- I called to get Martini's Ecole d'Orgue. I see it advertised, and want it.  Now have you got that Ecole d'Orgue or not? If you have it, run it out, for I'm in a hurry.

Salesman -- You talke me for a fool, don't you? This is no sausage shop. This is a music store. What do you suppose we know about Martini's cold dog, or his hot dog, or any other dog belonging to any other man? You must be crazy. We don't deal in dogs. Martini never left his dog around here anywhere. I say, John, here's a demented old idiot in here wanting to buy some kind of an Italian cold dog. Send for a policeman. He's mad. "