"Tagline Guru" survey has 'Big Apple" number one nickname

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 21 13:00:38 UTC 2005

The respected "TaglineGuru" survey has "the Big Apple" as the number one
city nickname. My guess is that this "survey" is not exactly scientific.
OT: I went to two of the 1000 "Parties for Mayor Mike" last night...I'll
know today or in a few days if the nonpartisan League of Women Voters has a
debate for me...I was told by one Democratic voter that he received THIRTEEN
"robocalls" (automated calls from candidates) in the 24-hour period before the
primary Tuesday of last week. Did we do "robocall"? I'm thinking of banning them
 by having politicians voluntarily agreeing not to do this again...My website
got  over 5,100 hits yesterday. I've added some "Stuff and Guff." Does Grant
Barrett  know anything better than "Toaster" for Columbia University buildings?
_http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame_multimedia?prid=95613&attachid=206417_
(http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame_multimedia?prid=95613&attachid=206417)

_http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=95613_
(http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=95613)

TaglineGuru Releases List of Top U.S. City Mottos and Monikers
Winners of Sloganville, USA Awards Also Announced; City Branding Honored for
Charm, Humor, and Infamy
SAN MATEO, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 09/20/2005 -- Just  because you're a small
town doesn't mean you can't have a big slogan. Towns that  play the branding
game well are part of a growing trend of thriving hamlets and  villages whose
mottos and monikers are helping to market their appeal and put  them squarely
on the map.
So says TaglineGuru™ (_www.TaglineGuru.com_ (http://www.taglineguru.com/) ),
which today released its survey  of the Top 50 U.S. City Slogans and Top 50
U.S. City Nicknames. It also  announced the winners of the "Sloganville, USA
Awards™," recognizing the most  notable and notorious city slogans and sobriquets
across the nation. For a list  of award winners, go to
_www.taglineguru.com/sloganvilleawards.html_ (http://www.taglineguru.com/sloganvilleawards.html)
According to 100 leading branding, marketing, and advertising professionals,
"What Happens Here, Stays Here" (Las Vegas) was ranked #1 out of 400 city
slogans, followed by "So Very Virginia" (Charlottesville, VA); "Always Turned
On" (Atlantic City, NJ); "Cleveland Rocks!"; and "The Sweetest Place on Earth"
(Hershey, PA) .
The well-known moniker, "The Big Apple," was ranked #1 out of nearly 800 city
 nicknames, followed by "Sin City" (Las Vegas); "The Big Easy" (New Orleans);
 "Motor City" (Detroit); and "The Windy City" (Chicago).

Highlighted  Links
_Full Survey Results _
(http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame_multimedia?prid=95613&attachid=206417)
_Award  Winners_
(http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame_multimedia?prid=95613&attachid=206414)

Rankings were based on whether slogans and nicknames expressed a city's brand
 character and personality; told a story in a clever, original, and memorable
 way; and inspired others to visit there, move there, or learn more.
For a list of the 50 top-ranked slogans and 50 top-ranked nicknames, and the
criteria and methodology used to select them, go to
_www.taglineguru.com/citymottosmonikers.html_ (http://www.taglineguru.com/citymottosmonikers.html)
According to Eric Swartz, president of TaglineGuru, "Rebranding your town
with a memorable motto or moniker is the most cost-effective way to leverage
your assets, increase your visibility, and build brand identity.
"For small towns, it means creating slogans that are unique and specific --
capitalizing on their history, values, and individual style. For big cities,
rebranding means staying vibrant, contemporary, and inclusive," notes Swartz.
"Think of it as a form of urban renewal -- without the need for a bond
measure.
"When it comes to slogans, small towns have an easier sell. They're known for
 one thing, and everyone agrees what that is. Big cities, on the other hand,
are  complex and have many constituents," Swartz says.
The colorful Southwest accounts for 36 percent of the top-rated slogans in
this study. Survey results also indicate that 52 percent of the top slogans are
 from towns with populations less than 25,000. In contrast, 58 percent of top
 nicknames are from cities with populations greater than 100,000.
On the whole, big cities have done a poor job of promoting their slogans.
More than 80 percent of the Web sites of the 50 largest U.S. cities don't even
mention their official mottos.
"That just goes to show how little thought most cities give to their own
branding," Swartz says. "Without a strong brand identity, a slogan doesn't have
much of a foundation to build on.
"All slogans have their detractors. That comes with the territory," Swartz
says. "Coming up with an effective slogan or nickname for your city is an
economic, cultural, and creative decision, and deserves more time and effort  than
a simple roll of the dice. Just ask Las Vegas. Their gamble paid off."
A division of The Byline Group (_www.TheBylineGroup.com_
(http://www.thebylinegroup.com/) ), TaglineGuru is dedicated  exclusively to brand strategy and
development. Its president, Eric Swartz, has  created slogans, names, and other
branding concepts for more than 80  organizations.