"Tagline Guru" survey has 'Big Apple" number one nickname

Wed Sep 21 21:27:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:20:04 -0400, Wilson Gray wrote:

>Thanks, Ben! But would you believe that Marshall, TX, is already on
>the list as self-proclaimed "Pottery Capital of the World"? Pottery
>may be more of a draw than fire ants, but not much more, IMO.

And if you go to the Wikipedia page for Marshall, you'll find that it's
also  the Cultural Capital of East Texas, the Gateway of Texas, the Athens
of Texas, and the City of Seven Flags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall%2C_Texas

(Isn't Athens, Texas, 100 miles to the west, the Athens of Texas?)

--Ben Zimmer