case choice by rhyme

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Sep 22 15:27:25 UTC 2005

        Reading this, it strikes me that I was careless in my prior
response.   Joel saw the brief quotation, "I think my love as rare As
any she belied with false compare," which I cited as another, older
example of a personal pronoun used as an ordinary head noun.  I
understood his question to be, in substance, why we were jumping to the
conclusion that "she" was not the subject of "belied," in which case
"she" would have been used in its ordinary sense as a pronoun.  My
overhasty answer explained that we know, from the larger context, that
this is not the case.  In doing so, however, I appeared to agree that
"she" is the object of "belied."

        Actually, I don't think "she" is the object of "belied" at all.
"She" is the object of the preposition "as."  "Belied" is a participle
modifying "she."

        As Larry explains, the object of a comparison can be in either
the nominative or the accusative case.  My understanding, however, is
that when the object is in the nominative case, "is" (or a similar verb)
is implied:  X is as rare as she (is).  The presence of a participle
removes the possibility of an implied verb, at least in this example.
To see this, suppose that Shakespeare was comparing his mistress to a
number of other women, rather than to "any she."  Then he would have
written "I think my love as rare as them belied with false compare," not
"I think my love as rare as they belied with false compare."

        As in Arnold's example, "Take a look and see You've hooked the
she Who'll agree Quite cheerfully," changing the pronoun "she" to the
accusative "her" to suit its function in the sentence would in no wise
be an improvement.

John Baker