shotgun shack, shotgun house, railroad flat, etc

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Sep 23 02:19:15 UTC 2005

"And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-well...how did I get here?"

--"Once In A Lifetime," Talking Heads, 1980

It turns out that David Byrne spent much of his childhood in Baltimore, so
that may account for the appearance of the term in the song. Personally, I
first heard the term in reference to a house in Baltimore.

"Same as it ever was."

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net