shotgun shack, shotgun house, railroad flat, etc

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 23 15:23:33 UTC 2005

At 9:53 AM -0500 9/23/05, Barbara Need wrote:
>At 22:36 -0400 22/9/05, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 06:58:36PM -0400, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>  >
>>>  Is "shotgun" really used for a building with a central hall?
>>>
>>>  I think the dwellings which I've heard referred to as "shotgun
>>>  houses/apartments/etc." generally had rooms in a row from front to back (no
>>>  hall at all).
>>
>>Yes, I agree with this too. I was merely pointing out that the
>>entry is there. Our revision file already has notes that we need
>>to correct these defs.
>>
>>Jesse Sheidlower
>>OED
>
>Actually, I most recently had the image of a central hall in my mind
>from some book I read as a child about migrant workers. But now that
>I think about it, I think the description in the book was of doors
>all in a line, not the same thing! I do know that when the pictures
>of the shotgun homes appeared in the paper I surprised by the floor
>layout, which does NOT have a central hall.

I'm more familiar with the "railroad flat" term, but I've always
pictured both those and the shotgun shacks/houses as strings of beads
from the front door to the "caboose"--mostly from depictions in books
or movies--rather than rooms off a central corridor.

Larry