What is (e.g.) "danged --> hanged" called?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Sep 25 17:30:07 UTC 2005

Thanks for the terms.  But I note that "dang (v)" in OED2, "A
euphemistic substitute for damn", has its earliest cite 1793-7.  So
is "I'll be danged if I know why" really a blend from "damn" and
"hang"?  If not, what would the term be?

(The only OED2 cites for "danged" are a 1910 past passive "I was
danged" and an 1886 ppl. adj.(or adv?) "Danged shady lot".)

Joel