till the fat lady sings & until the last bell rings

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 27 14:28:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> Near the end of a 1933 movie, "The Primo Canera Story," someone says (during
> a championship boxing scene), "It's not over till the last bell rings." (The
> fight ends in a draw, by the way.)
>
> The metrical similarity to "... till the fat lady sings" is certainly close.
> Is there any historical connection?

I don't see this movie on Internet Movie Database, and only one possible
reference to it from Google.  Can you give more details about the film and
how you became aware of this line being in it?  Did you actually view the
film?

Fred Shapiro