To unscrew the inscrutable

Tue Sep 27 22:30:01 UTC 2005

earliest I find . . . .

"America First! (From the Hartford Courant)"
The North American Review (1821-1940); Oct 1915; VOL. CCII., NO. 719;
APS Online
pg. 614

"We are reminded of Emerson's remark to one in some fury of contention,
"Why so hot, my little man?" and of the colored brother -- also preacher
-- who announced his purpose in the sermon of the morning, "to explain
the unexplainable and to unscrew the inscrutable things." "

"Heliograms"
Winnipeg | Manitoba Free Press | 1916-08-11 p. 9 col 6.
"Of course he don't come right out and claim that he can do the undoable
or unscrew the inscrutable, but take it from an old timer now if he
can't turn the trick."

An interesting variation:

"English Literature:  Themes and Variations"  by Kent Biffle, Dallas
Morning News,  Mar 13 1977, Sec G p. 6.
"Who can unscrew the inscrutable Oriental?"