Amicicide

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 28 00:30:10 UTC 2005

At 4:37 PM -0700 9/27/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I've never heard of this term before, but  AM i kuh side sounds okay
>to me. On the other hand, since  Latin "amicus" stresses the second
>syllable,  uh MEE kuh side  is probably more "correct" historically.
>
>My preference has the advantage of sounding enough like "amicable"
>to help explain the meaning.

One problem would be the velar softening suggested by the spelling
"amicicide".  The above pronunciation would be fine for "amicacide"
or "amicocide", but I think "amicicide" would have to be something
like "uh MEE suh side", which seems rather opaque and not
particularly evocative of "amicable".

LH