Thee and Thou

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Thu Sep 29 06:57:44 UTC 2005

I well remember being confused as a young lad (in the 1950s in Lancashire)
delivering morning papers when approached by an old chap in cloth cap who
asked me: "Hastonnyshillin?"

It took me a few moments to work out that he said "Hast thou any shillings
[for the gas meter].

"Wirsta bin?" was a common question = "Where hast thou been?"

--Neil Crawford

on 9/28/05 7:55 PM, FRITZ JUENGLING at juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
> Subject:      Re: Thee and Thou

--> -