Thee and Thou/Friends

Thu Sep 29 17:42:01 UTC 2005

The use of thee in the nominative is also typical of the SW English
pattern.  I wonder how popular 17c. Quaker religion was in that area--I
know that the North was a stronghold, and William Penn came from SE
Bucks (JUST inside the SW dialct area).  The N English nominative form
is tha, which in Yorkshire at any rate = thy.  Shetland/Orkney have the
expected thoo/du.

Paul Johnston