The Green Zone and The Pale of Settlement

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 1 03:08:43 UTC 2006

Typically the English domination of Ireland is dated from the 12th-C;
after William of Normandy ("the Bastard") conquered England and was
crowned king on Christmas Day, 1066 he systematically replaced English
minor nobility and church leaders with Normans.  By the 12th-C
Anglo-Normans colonized eastern Ireland.  These men "went native" (the
stereotype of this is speaking Irish and going shoeless) and in later
centuries Englishmen were admonished to use English surnames, speak
English and follow English customs--or risk forfeiting their lands
(Statutes of Kilkenny 1366).  After Henry VIII's break with Rome,
Irish became the catholic language and English the protestant one. The
OED gives 1547 for 'the Irish pale.'  By the time of union with
England (1803) the Ascendency [as the English ruling class was called]
were thoroughly English, educating their children in England.  It's in
the 17th-18th-C that the pale divided populations of Anglo-Irish from
Irish and Hiberno-English speakers, protestants from catholics.  Think
of Israel's "security fence"/wall dividing 2 populations differing in
religion as well as language.

So the term comes to be used in the mid-16th-C but the reality of
English domination of eastern and southeastern Ireland is centuries
older; the Reformation crystalizes the difference between the 2
Irelands. After the birth of Eire in the 1920s, the old Kingdom of
Ulster (minus the counties of Moynahan & Caven) remain English and the
rest of the country becomes independent.  The modern pale would be the
border of Ireland with the UK.