Query: Meaning of 1933 abbreviation (slang) T.L.(from Gerald Cohen)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 2 03:45:23 UTC 2006

Barry,
Would you please send the message below my signoff to  ads-l.  I'm away from
Rolla, and if I send the mesage to
ads-l from any  computer other than my own, it will arrive encrypted. -----
Thanks.

Best.  --- Jerry

Query:  Would anyone have any idea what "t.l." (in  capitals it would be
T.L.) means in the following following context (from  Nathanel West, Miss
Lonelyhearts & the Day of the Locust' copyrighted 1933;  later edition: p. 148):
'...Faye was coming back.  Homer  saw that Tod was going to speak to her
about Earle and the Mexican and signaled  desperately for him not to do it.  She,
however, caught at it and was  curious.
"What have you guys been chinning about?"
"You, darling," Tod said, "Homer has a t.l.for you.
"Tell me, Homer."
"No, first you tell me one."
"Well, the man I just danced with asked me if you were a movie big  shot."
Tod saw that Homer was unable to think of a return  compliment so he spoke
for him.
"I said you were the most  beautiful girl in the place." ....'

----- The reference  seems to be to a compliment.  But how would that derive
from T.L.?   Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gerald  Cohen