Odd dummy subject markers

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Apr 5 18:27:40 UTC 2006

Assuming the role, apparently, of spokesman for Southern
intuitions (!), I'll confirm that sentences with Ron’s quasi-
dummy "it" do seem usually to include a "that" dependent
clause, though "that" itself can have been deleted (so to
speak).

     "It said on the radio that showers are expected."

     "It said on the radio showers are expected."

    * "It said on the radio the prediction of showers."

The dependant clause can be in the form of a direct
quotation:

     "It said on the radio, 'Showers are expected.'"

     "It said on the radio, 'Expect showers.'"

And the transformation of the clause into an infinitive
phrase is possible:

     "It said on the radio to expect showers."

But that seems a little different (intuitively speaking).
Could it occur in Northern Normal?

--Charlie