Acronyms and Akronites

Janet Marting marting at UAKRON.EDU
Sun Apr 9 16:48:28 UTC 2006

I recall a few months ago reading a thread in this listserv about the
correct definition/usage of acronym and abbreviation. The concensus, if I'm
remembering correctly, is letters that can be pronounced as a word are
acronyms (e.g., using the commonly heard real estate FISBO--for sale by
owner).  Other collections are abbreviations (e.g., BICC--built in china
cabinet).  I distinguish the two terms when teaching lexicon.  And devil
strip in Akron?  Oh, the terms I've heard since moving twenty plus years ago
to Northeast Ohio!  A Vermonter who grew up uttering "jeesum crow" and
eating "sugar on snow" could be dumbfounded, if not for my understanding of
dialects.  --Jinny Marting