A big village . . .

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 11 13:49:52 UTC 2006

Last night I brought up the "village" matter with my wife,
who (as I reported here earlier) spent the first 19 years of
her life in the VILLAGE of Oak Park, IL.  She declared, with
just a touch of hauteur, that Oak Park is "the largest
VILLAGE in the world" (or at least it so claimed in the
1960s and 1970s), with a population of 60,000+.  (She was
not amused by my adverting to the old gag about the carnival
sideshow that boasted of having the world's tallest dwarf.)

Another interesting detail:  Oak Parkers can go "UPTOWN,"
into the central business and shopping area of Oak Park
proper, or they can go "DOWNTOWN," travelling 8 or 10 miles
eastward (by car or on the el) to Chicago.

--Charlie