spaz and Tiger Woods

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Apr 12 19:06:02 UTC 2006

I don't know whether anyone has seen or heard of this, but you might want to have a look at the BBC site:

Golfer Tiger Woods has been criticised for saying he played like 'a spaz'. Can using the word ever be right?

Two things are surprising to me. First, that the word 'spaz' is such a strong term in the UK.  It seems the Brits are going bonkers over this.  Secondly, I've heard this term all my life and I have never heard it in the way that I think Tiger may have meant it. The writer of the article writes " Spaz has become synonymous with useless incompetence..." For me, it means nothing of the sort, but rather has to do with uncontrolled action, almost always excitement.  When I read the signs the pep squad makes for an upcoming game 'Let's spaz out!!', I don't det any idea of incomepetence, but excitement.

Any comments?

Fritz J