spaz and Tiger Woods

Mark Peters markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 12 21:41:35 UTC 2006

When I was a kid in Western New York in the 70s and 80s, I remember "spaz" being connected to a different disorder: epilepsy. "Epi," I think, was an insult that went along with spaz.

  Mark

"Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Dennis R. Preston"

Subject: Re: spaz and Tiger Woods

In the Louisville area use of the 40's and 50's (sorry to one-up you
on age Alice), the etymological connection was clear, and the
full-form "spastic" was the popular usage. "Spaz," a transparent
shortening for those of us who had earlier used the full form, came
much later, maybe even late 50's.

dInIs

>FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>>I don't know whether anyone has seen or heard of this, but you
>>might want to have a look at the BBC site:
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4902432.stm
>>
>>Golfer Tiger Woods has been criticised for saying he played like 'a
>>spaz'. Can using the word ever be right?
>>

>>Two things are surprising to me. First, that the word 'spaz' is
>>such a strong term in the UK. It seems the Brits are going bonkers
>>over this. Secondly, I've heard this term all my life and I have
>>never heard it in the way that I think Tiger may have meant it. The
>>writer of the article writes " Spaz has become synonymous with
>>useless incompetence..." For me, it means nothing of the sort, but
>>rather has to do with uncontrolled action, almost always
>>excitement. When I read the signs the pep squad makes for an
>>upcoming game 'Let's spaz out!!', I don't det any idea of
>>incomepetence, but excitement.
>>
>>Any comments?
>>

>To me, "spaz" means klutz, incompetent bozo and the like. It was
>commonly used in this meaning on the playground and the like where I
>grew up outside of NYC in the 50s and 60s. Of course, back then, we
>didn't know the etymology or that spasticity is a neurological condition.
>--
>Alice Faber faber at haskins.yale.edu
>Haskins Laboratories tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
>New Haven, CT 06511 USA fax (203) 865-8963

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English
15C Morrill Hall