lawn-loan

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Apr 20 01:22:24 UTC 2006

This would amaze me for most of NC, where the low-back vowel has
become a diphthong with a fronter (not raised and backer) onset.

dInIs (who is  constantly amazed)

>In a message dated 4/19/06 1:33:54 PM, pulliam at IIT.EDU writes:
>

>>  I heard a produced radio ad today in Chicago in which the
>>  pronunciation of _lawn_ was very close to the standard /o/ heard in
>>  _loan_.
>>

>Maybe the radio ad was produced in North Carolina, where folks mow the loan a
>lot.

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English