ADS-L Digest - 18 Apr 2006 to 19 Apr 2006 (#2006-109)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 20 14:14:58 UTC 2006

At 6:57 AM -0400 4/20/06, Geoff Nathan wrote:

>Bakeries have been selling 'muffin tops' for a number of years, but
>don't always call them that.  At least five or six years ago the St.
>Louis Bread Company (now national, and called Panera) was selling
>'muffies', but would happily explain that they were just the tops of
>muffins, or 'muffin tops'.  Everybody knows the tops are the
>best--that's why we save them for last.

Well, maybe so--but the characteristic genius of Seinfeld--
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheMuffinTops.htm as Ben posted--lay
not in coming up with the "muffin top" concept, but coming up with
the "muffin stump" designation for the undesirable complement.

LH