Syntactic change/

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Apr 20 18:53:12 UTC 2006

        Jon has a low threshold for signs of the apocalypse. I've heard
versions of this for some time, and I'm always struck by it as an
example of ambiguity in ordinary language.  "Any 32-bit CPU doesn't fit
your needs" can mean either "no 32-bit CPU fits your needs" or "not
every 32-bit CPU fits your needs."  (In this case, of course, the
lead-in makes it clear that the former meaning is intended.)

        While its advanced age may disqualify it as an apocalyptic sign,
it is certainly a usage that I disdain.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 4:47 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Syntactic change/

SOTA.

  JL

  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Syntactic change/
-------

>From SlashDot:

"You can completely ignore this [difference between a 32-bit CPU and a
64-bit CPU], because

_any_ 32-bit CPU _doesn't_ fit your needs."

Don't people usually say "... because _no_ 32-bit CPU fits your needs"?

Or do I simply need to get out more?

-Wilson Gray