Re: lawn-loan

Fri Apr 21 11:55:10 UTC 2006

But the nonnative tends to hear the [o] offglide as the most prominent
feature of the vowels in both cases, so LAWN and LOAN sound a lot
alike--especiallybecause, in both cases the onsets, while phonetically distinct, are quite
similar (nonback, nonhigh, nonrounded, nontense) and overlap a lot in their
variability.

Of course, we don't mow the lawn very much here in North Carolina, we coot
(rhymes with BOOK) the grice.