spaz and Tiger Woods

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 22 22:13:33 UTC 2006

FWIW, I first heard "twat" as the punchline of a ca.1955 joke about an
airline stewardess who asked a passenger whether he would like some TWA tea.
In the '70's, a former president of the Linguistic Society of America
published a paper in which he tried to relate "twat" to "thwait" and
"thwite." In 1985, I mentioned to a friend that a woman friend had referred
to the girl friend that had recently dumped me as "a little twat." He was
shocked! shocked! that a woman would use such language.

The OED Online says that it can be used to mean "buttocks" in the U.S.
That's news to me.

-Wilson