t--w'at?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 23 20:31:48 UTC 2006

>It seems to me that Paulson's analysis involving word-internal phonology is
>unnecessary, if we can make the simplifying assumption that Rochester
>maintained the the W-WH diistinction. The voiced -d of "united" is simply
>unvoiced by the following voiceless [hw-] of "what." This allows us to
>discard the action-at-distance hocus-pocus involving the unvoicing of
>word-final -d by a preceding word-internal -t- followed by a -V- and does
>away with the need to concern ourselves with the punctuation problem.
>
>-Wilson

Beautiful, Wilson.  If I ever actually publish my paper (which is not
about the Earl of Rochester as such), I'll definitely adopt your
quite plausible analysis.  If only I had a better feel for
phonological processes I might have come up with something along
those lines--but then I keep forgetting that Rochester (like my wife,
but unlike me, and possibly unlike Paulson) would have distinguished
"(-t +)what" from "(-t +)watt".  Speaking of which, I just realized
that the British jocular "wot" spelling is probably intended to
signify the voicing of the initial glide.

Larry