Big Apple / Manzana

Mon Apr 24 22:25:31 UTC 2006

Barry, I didn't say that "manzana principal" has anything to do with
"the Big Apple".  Given that "the Big Apple" seems to come from the
horse racing community, as you and Dr. Cohen have clearly established,
it struck me as possibly useful to explore "manzana" further in that
context.  A very small amount of research found stuff that is, at least
to me, interesting.

For some reason, as yet unknown, the racing community came up with the
phrase "the Big Apple" which was applied to New York.  I, for one, would
like to know why.  Investigation of horses named "Apple" or "Manzana" or
"Apfel" or "Pomme" certainly seems like it would be germaine to the
question. Your research certainly kills some of the theories that have
floated around.  But if there had been a horse named "Big Apple" in the
1910's or earlier, I can't help but think it is relevant.  If there was
one named "Manzana" that was called "Grande Manzana", or "Big Manzana",
that would also seem relevant. I've only found the "Manzana", not the
Big or Grande part.  They may not exist.  But it doesn't hurt to look.