source?

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 25 12:58:18 UTC 2006

When my first wife had a miscarriage in 1966 the doctor referred to it as an
abortion.  I remember he prescribed birth-control pills afterward to delay
pregnancy for a period of 12-18 months and once, in a pharmacy, we used the
term and got a rise out of other customers.  The drug store was in a middle
class area where many faculty lived, adjacent to the Syracuse Univ campus,
so I don't think social class played into it.

I think that at the time doctors were trying to be frank with patients, esp.
when identifying competing diagnoses.  Three years later a colleague here in
Ohio was told that his newborn son's enlarged testees could indicate
dwarfism, unnecessarily frightening the parents.