Holy cow! (1917)

Wed Apr 26 18:47:14 UTC 2006

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
>Subject:      Holy cow! (1917)
>
>I'm thinking of adding this one to my web page. Any earlier?
>
>_Other  2 -- No Title_
>Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963).  Chicago, Ill.: Nov 8, 1917. p. 6 (1 page)
>Holy Cow! WHY can't they print 'em right?

California | Oakland | Oakland Tribune | 1913-03-13 p 14 col 3.
"Harry Wolverton assigned "Holy Cow" Peters to the job of umpiring one of
the Regular-Yannigan contests at Marysville last week and Peters is still alive. "

Nebraska | Lincoln | Lincoln Daily News | 1914-06-01 p 5A col 1.
"Denver fans have coined an imitation of Charley Mullen's pet expression. Instead of
"holy cow," the bugs in the camp of the Bears yell "sacred bessie." "