Latin nominatives and animal names (cf. Bossie)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 28 23:25:27 UTC 2006

Yes, *we* do, but that is a modern, learned derivation that has nothing to
do with whether English-speaking cowherds of the Dark Ages were familiar
enough with Latin to derive a nickname for a cow
from a word that referred to oxen as much as to cows.

-Wilson