Ursine usages with edifying footnote on Burma

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Aug 1 18:55:07 UTC 2006

Isn't the most prevalent current sense of the adjective "grizzly" (other than the ursine epithet) something like "ghastly, grim, horrible"--for instance, "I saw a really grizzly wreck on the interstate this morning"?  That sense has no entry in the OED, though it may be implied in an 1864 quotation (illustrating "grizzly" a.1): ". . . the next town,.. grim and grizzly,..looked drearier."

Could that sense have evolved, by a sort of folk etymology, from the legendary ferocity and destructiveness of the grizzly bear?  Or, was the sense already established--connotatively, at least--perhaps influencing the designation of the fierce animals when English speakers discovered them in the early 19th century (they could, instead, have been called "silvery bears" or something)?

--Charlie