Ursine usages with edifying footnote on Burma

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Aug 1 19:58:36 UTC 2006

Well, I'll be damned!  I was the one doing the folk etymologizing!  I do believe, though, that (especially among those of us who don't spell well) the two words have partly converged, semantically as well as phonologically (but NOT, evidently, orthographically!).  Few people nowadays, I believe--except maybe in the Pacific Northwest--think of grizzly bears as GRAY; we think of them as GRISLY (my newly discovered word!).

--Charlie