Fwd: interesting turn for "hoi polloi"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 2 19:07:50 UTC 2006

Influenced, perhaps, by the Cockney (or quasi-Cockney) pronunciation of "high"?  So, we would have the "hoi polloi" in contrast to the "lower polloi"--"polloi" (or Cocknified "polli") sounding a little like "people" (those ancient Greeks, you know, did tend to mumble; the ones who wanted to speak clearly had to practice with pebbles in their mouths).

--Charlie