"Hot enough for you?" (1876, 1878, 1880)

Wed Aug 2 19:47:04 UTC 2006

While we're on the subject. . . .

This evidently was a golden age for weather-related wit and humor, and
even flippancy.

>From Proquest:
YESTERDAY'S HEAVY RAIN STORM.  New York Times, August 6, 1884. p. 8
"*** "This is the sort of weather for ducks," remarked the young lady to
the conductor of a Sixth-Avenue horse car as she boarded the vehicle at
Jefferson Market yesterday.
"Yes," replied he of the car, with an admiring look, "and yet you don't
seem happy."
"Conductor," was the stern rejoinder, "Your number, please.  I'll report
you for flippancy."

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.