Sweatiquette; Tex-Mex (1957)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 3 22:17:21 UTC 2006

"Tequila with lime and cointreau" as a recipe for a margarita in 1964? A
nice find, Barry. No more that a month ago, I saw a full-page ad touting
this recipe as though it was something brand-new and calling it a "golden"
margarita. I guess that this means that I can't take advertising at face
value, anymore.

-Wilson

On 8/2/06, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Sweatiquette; Tex-Mex (1957)

> SWEATIQUETTE--205 Google hits
> ... =20
> _http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/439832p-370521c.html_=20
> (http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/439832p-370521c.html)=20
>     Sweatiquette=20
> 5 solutions to sticky situations   By JO PIAZZA =20
> As temperatures creep toward 100 and the humidity is  thick as soup,=20
> maintaining your sense of dignity in the swelter is key. It's  time for
> swea=
> tiquette.
> (Oxford English Dictionary)
> <i>Tex-Mex,</i> a. and n.
> Also Texmex. A Texan style of cooking using  Mexican ingredients, and=20
> characterized by the adaptation of Mexican dishes,  frequently with more
> mod=
> erate use=20
> of hot flavourings such as chilli; food cooked  in this style. =20
> 1963  N.Y. Times Mag. 11 Aug. 50/1  Star of the evening was her Texas
> or=20
> Tex-Mex chili. 1966  Great Bend (Kansas) Daily Tribune 19 Oct. 5/4 It's
> too=20=
> bad=20
> that it has  become known as =E2=80=98chilli powder=E2=80=99 because some
> ho=
> memakers may=20
> associate it only  with the preparation of =E2=80=98Tex-Mex=E2=80=99
> dishes.=
> 1988  Independent 4=20
> Aug. 20/5 We..eat  Texmex, half steaks and salad and ice-cream, and
> half..ch=
> eese=20
> and tortillas. 1993  T. WATADA in E. Philips  & G. Ursell Grain Fall
> (1993)=20
> 64 Once the cheque from Alex's office cleared, we ate nothing
> but  Tex-Mex.=20
> 2000  B. GEDDES  World Food: Mexico 26 At one  time, much of present day
> US=20=
> was=20
> part of Mexico. This included the states of  California and Texas which=20
> explains the presence or restaurants on both sides of  the border offering
> c=
> ooking=20
> styles known as Cal-Mex and Tex-Mex.
>
> 10 November 1957, Galveston News- Tribune, Cook Book,  pg. 17:
> TEX-MEX ENCHILADAS
> ...   =20
> 3 November 1964, Oneonta (NY) <i>Star</i>,  pg. 11:
> Some of the best Mexican food in New York is served in  Greenich Village
> on=20
> Charles St. at a simple neighborhood type family restaurant  called El
> Charr=
> o.=20
> Garcia, behind the bar, or his wife, Maria, will shake you up  the
> craziest=20
> [...]

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out
the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon
them.

Frederick Douglass