"knock" = "vagina", 1664?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 5 06:09:11 UTC 2006

Well, it's most certainly a Dutch word and it most certainly has the
right meaning. However, as to what the historical English reflex of
Dutch -eu- (approx. [ö]) is, or what the Dutch sound was a couple of
centuries or so ago was, your guess is as good as mine. There's an
on-line, FREE, Dutch-to-Dutch etymological dictionary published by the
Universiteit van Amsterdam, but, sadly, for our current needs, the
most recent lemma is Ka-.

-Wilson

On 8/4/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "knock" = "vagina", 1664?
>
> It has been suggested (not by me) that English _nookie_ (1928 but undoubtedly older) somehow reflects Dutch _neuken_ "to copulate with."  Does this word even exist in Dutch? If so, could there be a phonological relationship?
>
>   Once again, Joel has unearthed a good American example of a British term - if we can rule out the meaning "to strike."
>
>   JL
>
> "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass