[ADS-L] Google fights genericide

Sat Aug 5 14:39:20 UTC 2006

Thanks for posting this.

It is my understanding that, because of the way trademark law works,
trademark owners are required to send out such cease-and-desist letters, even though
they know that there is no legal way that they can compel people to use the TM
in ways that would not appear to contribute to the genericization of the TM.
At least Google did not make empty threats--they took the stance of educating
the author, rather than badgering him (or so it seems).

Whether the lawyers really believe that they can change linguistgic behavior,
they can at least point to their vigorous attempts at doing so (called
"policing" the mark) if their TM rights are ever challenged in court of with the TM
Board. Nobody seems to have been able to think of another way of dealing with
this issue legally, and it is too bad because it does create a lot of ill-will
for the lawyers and companies involved. However, famous trademarks are woth
billions of dollars, and to some extent the public relies on trademarks in
making purchases, so it is only fair--and ultimatelty in the public intrest-[-that
owners protect their investdments in whatever legal ways that they must.

I imagine that the dictionary makers got a lot of vigorous policing
"educational effort" from the lawyers! Good for them for sticking by their conclusion!

In the end, as I undestand it, the only real legal of genericization is what
people know about a trademark. This, of course, can be hard to determine. One
can conduct public surveys of name association and recognition; that is one
legally recognized way of demonstrating to the courts that people think of
Google as a TM. Linguists tend to be suspicious of such surveys, and sometimes
courts are as well, since it is often possible to get pretty much whatever answer
one wants depending on the questions asked. The other chief recognized method
is to look at how real people use the term in question and inductively
determine what they know about the TM on the basis of the objective data. This is the
methodology of traditional lexicography, and it seems to work quite well
(though again, it could be possible for one to apply the methodology irresponsibly
so as to achieve the results that one set out to achieve). Given that
dictionary evidence is probabtive, it follows that the proper application of
lexicographical methodololgy must be probative as well.

I assume that the Merriam-Webster people in their new definition indicated
that Google is a recognized TM, which I feel must be a recognized TM (though I
haven't studied this myself). This would mean that they have reported the facts
as they saw them. It is up to the courts to sort out the legal implications,
if and when theya arise.