"Houston, we have a problem" (1970)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 6 17:04:42 UTC 2006

I don't know what Fred has on the exact wording, and who said it. I added  it
to my Texas section.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/houston_we_have_a_pro
blem/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/houston_we_have_a_problem/)

Entry from August 06, 2006
“Houston, we have a problem”

"Houston, we have a problem” was the alleged statement made from Apollo 13 to
 Houston space command in April 1970. The actual statement differs slightly
from  that. Apollo 13 successfully returned to earth, despite the problem. The
film  Apollo 13 (1995) by director Ron Howard starred Tom Hanks.

The  phrase is still used if there’s any problem in the city of Houston, or
with its  sports teams.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php?URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13)
Apollo 13  was the third American manned lunar landing mission, part of the
Apollo program.  Two days after launch, the Apollo Spacecraft was crippled by
an explosion,  causing the Service Module portion of the Apollo Command/Service
Module to lose  its oxygen and electrical power. The crew used the Lunar
Module as a lifeboat in  space. The command module systems remained functional but
were deactivated to  preserve its capability to re-enter earth’s atmosphere
upon return to the earth.  The crew endured difficult conditions due to severe
constraints on power, cabin  heat, and drinkable water, but successfully
returned to Earth.
(...)
Crew
James A. Lovell (flew on Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8 and  Apollo 13),
commander
John L. Swigert (flew on Apollo 13), command module  pilot (replacing
original CMP, Ken Mattingly)
Fred W. Haise (flew on Apollo  13 and Space Shuttle Enterprise), lunar module
pilot
(...)
Oxygen  tank explosion
April 14, 1970, 02:08:53.555 UTC
321,860 km from  earth.
(...)
Famous misquote: “Houston, we have a  problem”
Actual quote: “Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here” [1],  uttered by
Swigert to ground. Lovell then uttered this similar phrase: “Houston,  we’ve had
a problem.”

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/quotes_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php?URL=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/quotes)
Memorable  Quotes from
Apollo 13 (1995)
Jim Lovell: Houston, we have a  problem.

14 April 1970, Chicago Tribune, “A Cool Voice  from Space Tells of Woe” by
Stephen Crews, pg. 1:
Houston, April 13—The  voice from Apollo 13 was crisp and cool tonight when
the first word came—“Hey,  we’ve got a problem here.”

It was the voice of Astronaut Fred Haise. The  tone of it seemed strangely
business-like for a man who was outward bound from  earth, more than 205,000
miles in space.

“We had a pretty large bang  associated with the caution and warning [alarm]
here,” Haise said.

14 April 1970, Indiana (PA) Evening Gazette, pg. 3:

“Houston, We’ve
Had A  Problem”
Lovell Declares
SPACE CENTER, Houston (AP)—With the  words “Houston, we’ve had a problem,”
Apollo 13 commander James A. Lovell Jr.  alerted the ground controllers that
the planned lunar landing mission was in  trouble.

Here are the highlights of the exchange between the spacecraft  (SC) and the
capsule communicator (CapCom) in Mission Control.

SC: “Hey,  we’ve had a problem. We’ve had a main B bus interval (a main
circuit had  broken).

19 April 1970, Washington Post, “Crisis in Houston:  The Fight to Save Apollo”
 by Thomas O’Toole, pg. 1:
Houston confirmed to the  three men the loss of their main sources of power
of oxygen and of water and the  prospect that they might never return to earth.

It began in the flat,  unexcited voice the world has learned to expect from
astronauts.

“Hey,  we’ve got a problem here,” Lovell radioed.

“Houston, we’ve had a  problem. We’ve had a Main B bus interval...and we had
a pretty large bang  associated with the caution and warning there...and if I
recall, Main B was the  one that had an amp spike on it once before.”

Nobody knew it at the  time, but the “large bang” had come from one of two
tanks in Odyssey’s service  module that supplied all its oxygen for electricity
and the crew’s breathing.

13 June 1970, Chicago Tribune, “Positive Thought Conquers  Fear” by Norman
Vincent Peale, pg. S11:
“WE’VE GOT A PROBLEM!” That phrase  achieved immortality when radioed across
205,000 miles of space from Jim Lovell  in Apollo 13 to the mission control
in Houston.

“We’ve got a problem.”  What a quiet, calm way to inform the waiting
millions that something had gone  wrong, that three brave men on a voyage to the moon
might never see earth again!

Apollo 13 was of course a triumph of teamwork, ingenuity, and  initiative.

1 March 1974, Washington Post, “A Problem With ‘a  Problem’” by John
Carmody, pg. C7:
Former astronaut James A. Lovell, who  commanded the jinxed Apollo 13 space
flight in 1970, has complained to the  National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) that a made-for-tv movie  based on the mission is “fictitious and
in poor taste.”

The film,  “Houston, We Have a Problem,” will be seen Saturday night at 8:30
on Channel 7  (WMAL). It was produced for ABC-TV by Universal Television.
Posted by Barry Popik
_Texas_ (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/category/C78/)   •
(0) _Comments_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/comments/houston_we_have_a_problem/)   • Sunday, August 06, 2006 • _Permalink_