fruneral

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 7 18:57:21 UTC 2006

Those pronunciations are all (stereo)typical of BE. "Scrimp" for
"shrimp" is another one. It's "srimp" for me, but I've heard "scrimp,"
"stob" for "stab," etc. a beaucoup on e.g. BET, especially on the
comedy shows. Sometimes, a comedian's whole shtik wil consist of
speaking with a Deep-Southern, country accent. A good example is
Richard Pryor's "Mudbone" bit. Of course, Pryor could also do urban
accents, cf. "Wino Meets Dracula" and "Wino Meets Junkie." Of course,
this wasn't Pryor's whole shtik, but y'all gnome sane.

-Wilson

On 8/7/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: fruneral
>
> On 8/7/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how authentic the Gecko's current accent really is?
> >
> >   If the guy who voices him *isn't* really a native, blue-collar Londoner,
> > shouldn't he get some sort of dialect award?
>
> It's British actor Jake Wood, who also has a role on EastEnders.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wood
> http://www.duncans.tv/2006/geico-gecko-voiced-by-jake-wood
>
> The second link calls Wood's accent "a hybrid Cockney London style" --
> not sure what's hybrid about it. Sounds quite a lot like David Beckham
> to me.
>

> --Ben Zimmer

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass