fruneral

Mon Aug 7 23:48:18 UTC 2006

I agree about the Gecko--whoever does the voice is GOOD.  Never mind
that the only geckos you'll see in London are in Regent's Park Zoo.
I have taught courses on British dialects off and on for twenty years
and it's nice to have an illustration everyone knows.  I used to send
my students to BBC America and have them listen to Tommy Walsh of
Ground Force (for straight down-the-line working class London) and
Handy Andy Kane of Changing Rooms (for really broad, council-estate-
type Cockney) but not everyone had the Beeb on cable.  Now we got
someone everyone can see.

Paul Johnston