"from a hole in the ground" antedating

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 8 18:12:02 UTC 2006

I still use the phrase almost every day and have done so since I was in my
teens in the 1950s.

I am curious, however, about when the word ass replaced the word arse in
common usage in the US.

This in my southern Illinois dialect caused some giggles when I was growing
up if you read the Bible and read the word ass as in not coveting thy
neighbor's ass.

We used to make jokes about this including whether or not it referred to
his butt or his wife.

This in turn gets me into the discussion of bumper stickers which read
"Keep off of my donkey".

Inquiring minds are interested in the solution to this problem.

Page Stephens