latest Mark Peters on eggcorns

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 9 14:08:52 UTC 2006

"Pus jewel," huh?  One is reminded of imagery in Dryden's youthful poem "Upon the Death of the Lord Hastings"--from smallpox:

So many Spots, like naeves, our Venus soil?
One Jewell set off with so many a Foil?
Blisters with pride swell'd, which th'row 's flesh did sprout
Like Rose-buds, stuck in' th' Lilly-skin about.
Each little Pimple had a Tear in it,
To wail the fault its rising did commit . . . .

--Charlie