Eggcorn, or: Telling on myself

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Aug 11 10:49:51 UTC 2006

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky"
> On Aug 10, 2006, at 6:16 AM, David Bowie wrote:

> > > ... Day before yesterday i produced the following
> > > eggcorn:

> > >   "... after a particularly violent spout of vomiting...

> not necessarily an eggcorn based on "bout".  it could be a
> blend, of "spate" and "bout".   of course, if you wouldn't
> use "spate" in this context, then the blend proposal is probably out.

Hmmm...Introspection being what it is, it's hard to tell, of course, but
since i don't think i've ever used the word "spate" in my life (and i
had to think a few seconds to recall the meaning of the word when i read
your reply), the blend reading probably is out.

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx