Further Antedating of "Judaeo-Christian"

Sun Aug 13 16:20:33 UTC 2006

On 8/13/06, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> Judaeo-Christian (OED 1899)
>
> 1847 William Jenks in _The History of the Jews from the Babylonian
> Captivity to the Present Time_ preface (American Periodical Series)
> Republication enlarged and enriched by his Judaeo-Christian friend, Mr.
> Berk.

Note also the misspelled 1847 cite I posted here last November:

1847 _Harbinger_ 16 Jan. 88/2 A unitary religion, embodying the Judeao-Christian
[sic] doctrine of Universal Love, shines, the torch-bearer of humanity, far in
advance of its actual institutions.
http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=309&VName=HNP&did=429940111

And this earlier nominal usage, where "Judeo-Christian" =
'quasi-Jewish quasi-Christian person':

1841 _Christian Observer_ 8 Oct. 164/3 Until more satisfactory proofs be adduced
to the contrary, we may, however, call the Frankists Judeo-Christians.
http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=309&VName=HNP&did=752265702

--Ben Zimmer